Friday, March 20, 2020

Perfect Sweet and Sour Sauce


This sweet and sour sauce recipe could have no other word in its title but perfect, because that's what it is!  It's thick with the ideal ratio of sweet to sour, which makes it a great sauce for anything Asian.🥢


Perfect Sweet and Sour Sauce

1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup pineapple juice
3 1/2 tbsp. natural rice vinegar
1 tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
2 1/2 tbsp. cornstarch
1/3 cup water
red food coloring (optional)
pineapple tidbits, drained (optional)

In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, garlic powder, and salt.  Stir in the pineapple juice, natural rice vinegar, and soy sauce.  Bring to a boil over medium heat.  Mix the cornstarch and water together in a small bowl.  Add the cornstarch mixture to the boiling sauce stirring constantly.  Mixture will thicken quickly.  Stir in desired amount of red food coloring. (I use 2 drops.)  Add desired amount of pineapple tidbits.  Cool slightly before serving.


I used to purchase sweet and sour sauce.  When my favorite sauce suddenly changed their recipe, I tried a different sauce only to be disappointed.  I decided right then that I would figure out how to make my own.  After several attempts, I finally came up with the perfect sauce...sweet, sour, and thick.



No comments:

Post a Comment